By default, only System Admins can access the User Import tool from the black admin bar at the top of your browser window. You will first need to submit a ticket to Digital Deployment and request that the User Import tool be added to your website.
User Import is located under User Management
You'll have access to three different parts of the tool
- User Imports - lists the history and details of all previous imports.
- Import - allows you to start a new import.
- Configure - provides a series of options for configuration.
- Ignore First Line - If your table has table headings, you'll want to check this box so this first row is skipped.
- Contact - Do not check this box as it is not applicable to your website.
- Send Email - If checked, the website will send users an email message when their account has been created. You'll have the option to customize this email message before you perform the import.
- Username Space - Check this box if you want to add a space between the values you are using to create the username. In this example my username will be cole lafrance. If I didn't check the box my username would be colelafrance.
- Activate Accounts - Check this box if you are importing usernames and passwords for users that already know their login credentials.
- Import Key - Pick a field that will be primary way you differentiate the user accounts - on subsequent imports, this key will be used to determine any account duplication.
- File Delimiter - CSV stands for comma separated values, if you are using a TSV replace the comma with /t.
All imported users will be assigned these roles. If you need to assign different roles to different users, import them with separate CSV files.
Remember that grey text is your friend here as it provides great contextual help.
Once a user clicks on the one-time login link, they will be prompted to update their password. The process looks like this:
Clicking the Log in button takes them to a page where they can easily create a password.
If you used the email address as the Import Key, you can't select Replace Data for this field as it is the primary identifying value for the user.
You can save all of these import settings to be used again. This way you don't have to remember the settings or re-write the email message each time you perform an import.